Sunday, January 3, 2010

Commercial

While watching football all day today, I noticed a commercial from Southwest Airlines. The commercial showed airline pilots on the job saying "this is what I do" followed by images of them volunteering with sick kids, feeding the homeless, and helping with war vets saying, "and this is who I am." The commercial evoked emotion in me. I recognize the significance of so many jobs that are necessary to make the world go round. Honestly, I am often grateful for the woman who cleans our bathrooms at work. I am amazed that educated and resourced co-workers can be so disgusting in the restrooms. But I will admit that I am also glad that I am not the one cleaning up the messes of others in the literal sense. I am thankful to have not just a job, but a career where what I do and who I am is one and the same. I will never be rich in the monetary sense, but the integration of what I do and who I am is a good fit.